Esplanade Limited has been a provider of automotive products and services on the Isle of Wight since 1946. Founded by Peter Dorley-Brown and his father George, the business started trading from premises in George Street, Ryde where today the company’s car rental business still operates.
In the 1950s, Esplanade first acquired land at Medina Avenue, Newport, and a workshop and showroom were built. Additional land and buildings have been added since.
Morris and Rootes products were sold from Newport in the early days but an important new chapter started in 1969 when the Auto Union brand, then comprising Audi and NSU was added, along with the servicing of Mercedes-Benz cars. Volkswagen was added in 1974, and finally smart in 2009 to complete a range of quality automotive products unrivalled elsewhere on the Island.
Esplanade aims to be the first choice automotive retailer on the Island from the points of view of all the business’s stakeholders. If we can keep our staff, customers and suppliers happy and satisfied, then the business should succeed and grow.